Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Oryx and Crake Sixth Entry

The novel unit is coming near to the end and everyone seems to be in panic to finish their books. In fact, I'm in panic, finishing the blog posts. Some of my friends aren't even enjoying the book they chose which I feel sympathy for them. I remember when I was choosing the book, I wanted to avoid history and war related novels which narrowed it down to Atwood's two novels and The Life of Pi. Without any regrets, I am certainly glad to study this novel as a group in our English class.

Snowman decides to march on a journey to find food and supplies for his survival. Leaving behind the children of crake, he is on an asphalt road. He suffers from the ultraviolet rays and is constantly in fear from the extreme exposure of ultraviolet ray from a hole in the ozone layer, and genetically motified beasts such as volvogs and pigoons. He finally arrives at a house where he obtain food and suppies. The residents are lying dead on the house, he is slightly scared but at the same time, used to the scenery. He feels somewhat hollow and feels as if the missing child of the household is himself.

Snowman's detailed description simulate imagery in the heads of the readers. As I was reading this part, I felt as if I was seeing the images he was seeing. I saw the destroyed house with shattered windows, empty roads with cracks and dry grains of sand. The author's intentional vivid description was enough to drew my attention through the present world of Snowman, which I secretly thought was less entertaining than the past of Jimmy.

1 comment:

  1. glad you are happy with your novel choice. It's funny that despite being given ample choices of books to read, not everyone will be happy anyway.

    ReplyDelete